Saturday, July 3, 2010

gnat contemplates the futility of modern art

my parents are visiting! they're on their way to canada to visit my aunt so they stopped in for a couple of days to check out chicago. naturally, my dad had two things on his agenda. the first was food, which we will get to later, and the second:

the art institute of chicago. my dad, in case you did not know, is a wonderful painter but he hasn't painted anything in about five years. he says he has no inspiration. he set out to find some in the modern wing of the art institute, which houses some real gems like this one:


yes folks, i paid $12 to see this. and this one, only marginally more stimulating:

actually, the art institute's modern collection is pretty excellent and i've enjoyed it every time i've gone. i've just chosen to highlight a few of the less... exciting pieces that i saw.

anyway, my dad wasn't the only one who was inspired, i headed over to blick discount art supply and picked up brushes, canvas, and this:

but no pencil. oops?

also notable on this parental visit was some ridiculously awesome food. we went to buddy guy's legends for dinner and saw live acoustic jazz while enjoying this:

half a bbq chicken, fries, cornbread, coleslaw and collard greens. like one person really needs all that food.

then later, a lamb burger on a pretzel bun with house made chips at kitty o'shea's.

which makes me realize that it's a good thing my relocation has stripped me of my car and forced me to walk miles and miles every day, because this food plus sedentary lifestyle spells coronary at 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment